EMS Instructor Coordinator
This course is designed to teach the EMS professional how to be an EMS Instructor Coordinator. Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be eligible to write the Michigan EMS I/C Exam. This course covers all topics included in the National Traffic Safety Administration Curriculum for EMS instructors.
This course is approved by the Michigan Department of Community Health EMS & Trauma Systems Section. Upon successful completion, students are eligible to take the State of Michigan Instructor Coordinator IC written examination for licensure.
This level of education is directed at preparing students to enter into entry level EMS instruction which can include both private and public educational settings.
The Instructor Coordinator program is designed to prepare students in the following topics which include but are not limited to:
- Roles and responsibilities of an Instructor Coordinator (IC)
- Rules governing program administration and student oversight
- Domains of learning with focus on adult education
- How to create lesson plans
- Proper evaluation techniques
- Methodology of instruction
- Teaching effective psychomotor skills
- Clinical set-up and oversight
- Educational planning and curriculum development
- How to utilize effective communication skills
- Rules governing discipline
- Student evaluation and remediation
- How to utilize technology in the classroom
Students are evaluated in the following core competency areas: didactic which include both classroom and internship performance. In addition, Students achieving an 80% or higher will receive a certificate of completion and are eligible for State licensure. Instructor apprenticeship, will be graded on a pass/fail basis and students will be required to successfully complete all student teaching to successfully pass the program. All teaching internship assignments are graded on attendance, attitude and skills performance which are evaluated by instructor mentors and/or the course instructor.
To be considered for the Instructor Coordinator Course, applicants must:
- have three (3) years of experience as a licensed MFR, EMTB, EMTS, or Paramedic (proof of experience is required);
- be currently licensed as an MFR, EMTB, EMTS, or Paramedic in good standing with the State of Michigan;
- have current BLS Healthcare (CPR) certification;
- provide two (2) letters of recommendation from a currently licensed EMS instructor/coordinator;
- must have access to a working computer with a working internet connection;
- be proficient with Microsoft power point and word.
Date & Time: Call Luce County Ambulance Service (906-293-8871) for next scheduled class.
Classroom Location: Luce County Ambulance Service Building, 910 Washington St., Newberry
Class size is limited to 15 participants. Applications must be completed and may be picked up at the Luce County Ambulance Building or by downloading the application below.
The course fee is $250.00 per person. Checks should be made payable to Luce County Ambulance Service. The course fee is due prior to the start of class.
If you have questions or need additional information, please call Aimee Harju, EMTP at 906-293-8871.