(Healthcare Expenses reLief Program)
HNJH offers assistance for uninsured or under insured patients who may be unable to pay their HNJH healthcare bills. Through the HELP program, HNJH makes available limited discounted services to those who qualify.
HELP is not an insurance program.
HELP assistance applies only to services performed at, or provided by, Helen Newberry Joy Hospital & Healthcare Center and it's healthcare staff, including:
- inpatient and outpatient services provided by Helen Newberry Joy Hospital,
- professional services provided by our staff physicians, nurse practitioners and physicians assistants.
HELP assistance is not available for the following services:
- services provided by a physician not employed by HNJH,
- visiting physicians in the Specialty Clinic,
- optical services through Norther Lights Vision Center,
- immunizations (exception: annual Flu Vaccine),
- pulmonary function testing (PFTs),
- radiologists reading diagnostic imaging exams (i.e., x-rays, mammograms, MRIs),
- elective, preventative, or screening services (i.e., annual wellness visits or related tests),
- Wellness Center membership,
- certain medical equipment or supplies,
- any services provided through LMAS Health Department, the Tribal Center or any other institution for which the HELP applicant is eligible either through grant or sliding fee scale.
Although the HELP program may be applied for either before or after care has been received, we encourage the patient to apply prior to non-emergent services to benefit from the sliding fee scale.
Following application completion and eligibility determination, services from 90 days prior to the eligibility date and extending up to one year after eligibility may apply to a sliding fee scale.
Steps in Applying for the HELP Program
- Complete the HELP Program Application (available in the Patient Accounts Office or by clicking here).
- Income guidelines change annually. Please call our Patient Accounts Office for the most current guidelines. Our Patient Accounts Representatives and their contact numbers are listed below.
- Provide proof of household income, including a copy of your most recent income tax return and your most recent 30 days of check stubs.
- Return the application and proof of income to our HNJH Patient Accounts Office. You may mail the information to Patient Accounts at HNJH, 502 W. Harrie Street, Newberry, MI 49868. Or, you may bring your information to the Patient Accounts Office. The office is located on the first floor of the Hospital (in the hallway connecting the Gibson Family Health Center to the main Hospital).
- You may be required to apply for Medicaid/Medicare and provide a valid Medicaid/Medicare rejection letter.
- You will be required to sign an affidavit verifying all information is current and accurate.
For more information about the HELP program, or for an application, please contact one of our Patient Accounts representatives.
Patient Account Representatives
Jeff Morrison (906) 293-9123 • Lorna Honeysette (906)293-9115
If you have additional questions, you may use the "Contact Us" feature on our website.